People Pane Labs Phase 4
Thank you for participating in the People Pane Labs Phase 4.
We listened to your feedback in Labs Phase 3. With this new release, the People Pane greatly enhances your awareness of the presence and activity of the people you frequently interact with. It's also where to go to find a colleague who may be located in another space, or connected via third party application like Slack, so that you can check her availabilty and collaborate with her in the moment.
We're eager to collect feedback on this final round of updates. A survey will be sent to Moderators of participating spaces. You can also email any questions or comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In Phase 4, the People Pane:
- Displays only people relevant to you and is more compact and easier to scan
- Lists status icons and names, using tooltips to show more detailed member information, such as the location of online members of your organization
- Promotes Search as the prominent action
- Returns search results in one-click action cards, in addition to spotlighting avatars on the local map
- Enables cross-space collaboration (chat first) *
* Note: To take advantage of the greater cross-space awareness and chat, all spaces must be enabled for People Pane Labs and updated to Labs Phase 4.
Let's take a closer look at the updates:
In the screen shots above, notice:
- Narrower open pane and cleaner look
- Your people are organized into 3 collapsible sections showing people:
- located in the same room as you
- you have manually "starred"
- you have had "recent conversations" with *
* The Recent conversations section is automatically updated for you to keep it relevant. People you most recently chatted with are added to the top of the list. The list grows up to 25 people and then gets refreshed. It's initially seeded with those who have most recently entered the space
- Status icons are associated with Member names and indicate availability at a glance
- When you hover your cursor over a name in the list (or avatar on the map), a tooltip provides additional info, such as Sococo space location and status details
- The People Pane defaults open; collapses up
- Search is promoted as primary action
Your status icon is automatically updated when you are offline or using live media in a room with others (Listening, Speaking or Presenting). Otherwise, manually-set status icons are displayed.
We plan to add additional status automations in future updates, such as an automated idle/sleeping status indicator.
Search and One-click Action Cards
Search is promoted to be a primary function. You can type a name or email address in the search box to find someone. If they are online, we will tell you where they are and even spotlight them on the current map. If they are offline, we'll tell you that, too.
Your search results are formatted as one-click action cards. If there are more than 5 search results, they are returned as a filtered list instead.
In the screenshot below, two one-click action cards were returned as results for the search for "alicia":
- Alicia is online in Dev HQ (same space as the person searching for her)
- Alex Swalicia is online in another space (space named Agile Factory)
One-click action cards allow you to click the Star on the card to easily add/remove the person to/from your Starred section.
If the person is in the same space as you (like Alicia in the example above), you can also click once to:
- Open Chat
- Knock on the door
- Get [name]
And, if the person you searched for is online in another space (like Alex Swalicia above), from the action card you can click Open Chat to message him. (Did you catch that? Yes, now you can chat across spaces!)
Final Touches & More Cross-Space Collaborative Actions Coming Soon
We plan to incorporate feedback from this final testing round and add two more cross-space actions in the general release coming next:
- Get someone located in another space to join you in your current room location; and
- Knock on the door of a room in another space to ask if you can join the people in that room.
These cross-space actions will be added to the one-click action cards, as well as to the header of the chat box.