There is only one chat window in Sococo, and you can control what is shown in this window. This window can display:
- A Private Chat (a chat conversation between you and one other person);
- A Room Chat (a chat thread viewable by all members currently present in the same room);
- or, if you have integrated with Slack: a Slack channel or Slack group chat.
In this article, let us go through the most common questions raised about chat and detailed answers to each of them.
- Clearing Chat History
- Space does not allow the saving of Chats locally
- Chat is not enabled in this space
- Viewing Room Chats
- Can I chat with users that are not online?
- Can I delete a message that has already been sent?
- Searching my Sococo Chats
- Chat History settings/retrieval
- Mobile App Chat History
- Slack Chat History
- Chat history in Sococo does not match the corresponding history in Slack
How do I clear my chat history?
- To clear your Private Chat and Room Chat history, disable the option Persist chat messages across sessions by setting it to Off. (Refer to Step 4 of Managing Chat History to see how this is done).
- When you log out of the application, your chat history will get cleared. Keep in mind that if in the future you toggle the Persist chat messages across sessions setting to On, your chat history will re-appear when you log in.
- There is not a way to delete chat history from the Sococo application.
- You can clear the cache on the browser to delete the history as this is saved locally.
My chat window shows a yellow message that reads "This space does not allow saving of chats locally." What does this mean?
- This means that your team's admin has disabled the ability for Sococo to store chat history between login sessions for the particular space you are in.
- Even if you have chat history enabled in your settings, chats originating in this space will be cleared when you log out.
- The chat history setting is still available to you in SETTINGS because there may be other spaces of which you are a member where this option is not disabled by the admin.
- Once you close this warning, you will not see the message again until the next time that you login.
My chat window shows a yellow message that reads "Chat is not enabled in this space." What does this mean?
This means that your team's admin has disabled chat entirely for your Sococo space.
Who can see Room Chats?
Room Chats can only be seen by people currently in that room. Your Room Chat history is unique to you, meaning that you will only see the history from the time that you were in that room.
Can I chat with users that are not online?
It is not possible to chat with users that are offline using Sococo chat. You can only chat with online users. If you have Slack integrated, you can chat with other Slack users through Sococo, even if they are offline.
Can I delete a message that has already been sent?
No. There is not an option to delete a message that has been sent.
Is there a way to search my Sococo chats?
- Currently, there is no option to search your chats in Sococo with one exception:
- If you are logged into Sococo from your Chrome browser, you can open the chat window you wish to search and then use the Ctrl-F (Windows) or Command-F (Mac) shortcut on your keyboard to search the page for a keyword.
- The search term will be highlighted in the open chat window if found.
I did not have the chat history setting toggled on and have logged out. Is there a way to retrieve my chat history?
- Unfortunately, there is no way to retrieve your chat history once you have logged out (it clears upon logout).
- We recommend that you change your setting so that the chat history is available to you going forward.
Mobile App Chat History
- Currently, there is no chat history available on the Sococo mobile apps for iOS and Android.
- The history is cleared when you are signed out of the app.
Slack Chat History
If your Sococo space is integrated with Slack, the following information about Sococo chat history only applies to:
- Private Chats with people who are not connected to your team's Slack integration.
- Room Chats.
If a user is not connected, a message box appears that says the <Personname> is not integrated with Slack. Messages will not be logged.
- What this means is that your chat with this person will not be synced to your direct-message history with this person, if any, in Slack (either because this person has not yet authorized the connection of their Slack and Sococo accounts, or because this person does not have a Slack account).
- This person will still receive your chat messages in Sococo, and chat history works as mentioned in the above questions and answers.
- When you open a chat with another Slack-integrated member of your Sococo space, the window will display your recent Slack direct-message history with that person.
- Each Sococo chat window displays approximately the latest 200 messages, so if you are looking for an older conversation, you will need to open Slack to search the entire history.
My chat history in Sococo does not match the corresponding history in Slack.
- If you notice that your chat history in Sococo does not match the corresponding history in Slack, try logging out of Sococo and Slack (through the menu in each app) and then logging back into both.
- Open a person-to-person or Slack channel window in Sococo to see if they are now in sync.
- Also, you can now try a Ctrl-R (Windows) or Command-R (Mac) to do a hard refresh of the Sococo app, which will prompt an update of the cache.